Game design-Week 13-Changes

SUMMARY

PRACTICE ROOM (TUTORIALS)

Construct 3 – Javascript

I finished the “basic concept” quizzes

CLASSROOM (THEORY & ANALYSIS)

MDA Notes

• Mechanics
  • Dynamics
  • Aesthetics

LAB (THEORY PRACTICED)

• Mechanics are the base components of the game – its rules, every basic action the player can take in the game, the algorithms and data structures in the game engine etc.
    • Dynamics are the run-time behavior of the mechanics acting on player input and “cooperating” with other mechanics.
    • Aesthetics are the emotional responses evoked in the player.

Brainstorm Ideas for Each of the Eight Categories

1. Sensation (Game as sense-pleasure): The player enjoys memorable audio-visual effects.
    • Place idea here…My idea would be a game with good graphics that would keep the player interested
  2. Fantasy (Game as make-believe): Imaginary world.
    • Place idea here… My idea would be a RPG like a fallout type of game that has RPG mechanics but is based off of a story
  3. Narrative (Game as drama): A story that drives the player to keep coming back
    • Place idea here…My idea would be a red dead redemption type game that would keep players immersed via unique story
  4. Challenge (Game as obstacle course): Urge to master something. Boosts a game’s replayability.
    • Place idea here… My idea would be a FPS
  5. Fellowship (Game as social framework): A community where the player is an active part of it. Almost exclusive for multiplayer games.
    • Place idea here…My idea would be a team FPS
  6. Discovery (Game as uncharted territory): Urge to explore the game world.
    • Place idea here…My idea would be another RPG that would be filled with story pieces and items to be collected by the player
  7. Expression (Game as self-discovery): Own creativity. For example, creating a character resembling player’s own avatar.
    • Place idea here… A minecraft style game that would be basically a sandbox, not many limitations on mechanics
  8. Submission (Game as pastime): Connection to the game, as a whole, despite of constraints.
    • Place idea here…A 2D game based on collecting coins or something in that area

OUTSIDE (CREATIVITY, PRODUCTIVITY & THE BRAIN)

STUDIO (CREATIVITY)

I learned how to start up and use construct 3. I learned about the “common units”. I learned that java and javascript are not the same thing.

CONTROL ROOM (PRODUCTION)

• Working as a team can be error prone. GitHub is a useful tool to solve this problem

WHAT I LEARNED and PROBLEMS I SOLVED

I learned more about construct 3 and I got through more javascript lessons.

WEEKLY ACTIVITY EVALUATION